Travel Information

In Japan, 2-flat-pin plugs are used instead of columnar-shaped plugs or 3-pin plugs. The voltage used throughout Japan is uniformly 100 volts, A.C. There are two kinds of frequencies in use; 60 Hertz in western Japan (including Nara) and 50 Hertz in eastern Japan. A convertible type of electrical appliances such as a travel iron, hair dryer, and shaver will therefore be handy. Otherwise, a step-down transformer is required to convert the voltage. 2-PIN 2-PIN + EARTH
Currency & Foreign Exchange
The local currency is Japanese Yen (JPY). Japanese money comes in bills (1,000, 2,000, 5,000 and 10,000 yen) and coins (1, 5, 10, 50, 100 and 500 yen). Major currencies, such as the US dollar and EURO, can be exchanged at international airports, major banks and major hotels. Banks are open from 9:00 to 15:00 on Monday to Friday.
Traveler's Checks and Credit Cards
Traveler's checks are accepted by leading banks and hotels in major cities. International credit cards such as American Express, VISA, Diners Club, MasterCard and JCB are also acceptable at these major establishments. Credit card transactions, however, are not always convenient outside big cities. Therefore, obtaining cash beforehand is recommended when you travel to the countryside.
Duty Free Import
Personal effects and professional equipment can be brought into Japan duty free as long as their contents and quantities are deemed reasonable by the customs officer.
You can also bring in 400 cigarettes, 500 grams of tobacco or 100 cigars; 3 bottles of alcoholic beverages; 2 ounces of perfume; and gifts and souvenirs whose total market price is less than 200,000 yen or its equivalent. There is no allowance for tobacco or alcoholic beverages for persons aged 19 years or younger. Firearms and other types of weapons, and narcotics are strictly prohibited.
Food and Water
There are many restaurants and cafeterias in Kyoto City, where you may enjoy a variety of foods and drinks at affordable prices. You may also buy snacks at supermarkets, convenience stores and other similar shops. Tap water is safe to drink anywhere in Japan.
Time Zone
Japan is in a single time zone, nine hours ahead of GMT. No Daylight Saving Time is in effect.
The organizers do not accept responsibility for individual medical, travel or personal insurance. Participants are advised to take out their own personal insurance policy.
Participants from countries requiring a visa to enter Japan should obtain one from the nearest Japanese embassy or consulate in good time.
More detailed information how to obtain a Japanese visa is shown at the website below.
"Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan"
We will be able to provide the documents necessary for visa application of the participants who have completed their online registration and payment.
For more details, please contact JTB Western Japan Corp ITS2017 Desk by e-mail.
Email : westec_op1 [@]